Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week


    Check out the new collections from the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. For a few days each year, the tents at Bryant Park are the ultimate place to see and be seen
    The Best Of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2010
    Model Lea Rannells and designer Christian Siriano pose before the Siriano's Spring 2010 Runway Collection at Payless ShoeSource on September 10, 2009 in New York City. (Getty Images)more pics »On Thursday, Mercedes Benz Fashion Week kicked off in a big way at the tents at Bryant Park, with fashion journalists, photographers, and sartorial notables streaming in from all corners of the globe.

    In San Francisco we tend to keep things casual, so you can imagine how stressful I found the prospect of dressing for these events (not to mention packing for them). It was muggy and sweat-inducing yesterday, so I ultimately chose a brown print Diane Von Furstenberg dress with open sleeves and a D&G belt. Having spent the previous day traveling in heels, I figured I'd give my feet a break and wear flats (nice ones, I thought). Mistake number one: Most of the women in the tent foyer were wearing heels at least three inches high, and those who weren't were 5'9" or taller (I'm allowed to make some gross generalizations here and there).


    My first official show was BCBG by Max Azria (I had attended a show/party for Women's Mafia the evening before, which I will be writing about very soon - once I have a break in my schedule longer than 15 minutes, hopefully). You can read my review of the show here, or check out runway photos here. I had the luck to be shuttled to a seat near the end of the runway, where I caught a brief glimpse of Vogue EIC Anna Wintour as she sprinted out of the room immediately following Azria's bows. Let it be said that the woman has an aura. And that she's actually quite stunning in person.

    Later in the afternoon, I checked out the Ports 1961 presentation at the tent. I have a new favorite designer in Tia Cibani, who explored a theme with such innovation and grace that it took my breath away. Read the show review here.

    Later in the evening, I trekked over to Bloomingdale's at 59th and Lexington to see Gwen Stefani make what I thought was a surprise in-store appearance. But no: the news had hit Twitter, and the crowd gathering before the L.A.M.B. display was massive. Elbows were flying, makeup was smeared, and after making her devotees wait about 25 minutes Gwen hit the platform with Anna Wintour in tow. I was too far back to see much but the outlines of the women's iconic hairstyles: I was looking at bob and poof. Check out pictures of Gwen's presentation at Milk Studios here, and if you like, see the video above (although it really only shows the crowd and not Gwen).

    Afterwards, I sipped bubbly at Miu Miu, where everyone had congregated in the shoe room. I snapped a few pictures of the shoes, which should serve as explanation enough. I picked up a new wallet and a bracelet, and was having trouble getting the colors I wanted - so it's safe to say that Fashion's Night Out definitely got people shopping. As I left, I spotted socialite Genevieve Jones trotting around in a bubble skirt, white socks, and heels. She glows.

    Also partying: Prada, Diesel, Coach, and every tipsy woman attempting to trot around in YSL Trib Toos with huge bags in tow. What a wonderful, wonderful night. Anna Wintour, thank you. Thanks also to HauteLook, who have sponsored a wonderfully serene press penthouse at the Bryant Park Hotel. I can't say where I'd be without your wireless and parfaitsSource URL: http://fashionweekspring2012.blogspot.com/2011/09/mercedes-benz-fashion-week.html
    Visit Fashion Week Spring 2012 for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive